Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

RAT West Coast Survival Class 2

Randall's Adventure & Training West Coast Survival Class

3 Day Basic Survival Class

Skills learned: Navigation, Fire Building, Shelter Construction, Knife Safety and Use, Signaling, Food & Water Procurement

When: January 20-22 2012
    Where: Wrightwood, CA (Big Rock Campground) an elevation of about 5,000 feet.

Instructors will be Reuben Bolieu and Reza Allah-Bakhshi.

Our goal is to provide people of all fitness levels with basic survival skills in a mountainous environment. This will cater to those who want to get their feet wet and start learning some skills or refresh them. Although some things like shelter materials and fire materials will be terrain specific, most of the skills will translate to the rest of the world.

Gear List
    Keep it simple with extra attention to clothing. Bring plenty of cold weather clothing as the high elevation is prone to wind, and even snow around this time of the year. Make sure you have at least the following: Cutting Tool (knife/machete), Fire Starting Tool (Magnesium bar, Ferrocium Rod), Compass, Signaling Mirror, Whistle, Water Container (preferably metal), 550 cord, Water Filter or Water Purification Tabs, Space Blanket or Tarp. A Camera and/or Journal for notes.
    Bring what you have. If you have a knife, we’ll show you how to use it. If you have a machete or hatchet, we’ll show you how to use it. Also, if you don’t have something, don’t sweat it.
    Bring all food and snacks you wish to eat. Food can be cooked in the camp.

Schedule:
    Day 1 (Friday)- Meet at trailhead 10 am. Short hike to camp, student put up their own shelter, be it tent/bivy/tarp/hammock. First Aid, Knife Safety and Use, Fire Making, Navigation.

Day 2 (Saturday)- Shelter, Traps, Knots, Students Make Campfire. Discuss signaling around campfire. Bow Drill demo.

DAY 3 (Sunday)- Make Water Filter, Make ground to air signals.

Price $300

Send payment to

Randall’s Adventure & Training
    P.O. Box 99
    Gallant, AL 35972

You can also PayPal payment to info@eseeknives.com

Be sure to mark your check or note your PayPal payment as “West Coast Survival School”

Feel free to contact Reuben with any questions bearthedog76@hotmail.com
    Reza
    rezaphoto@hotmail.com

View photos from the last class
    http://jungletraining.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9462
    Last edited by bearthedog; 12-01-2011 at 07:54 PM.

This should be interesting. If there is snow, that will make it 3 times I've ever seen the stuff in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
    This should be interesting. If there is snow, that will make it 3 times I've ever seen the stuff in person.

Last time we would get some powder, but it wouldn't stay. Maybe we will have enough to make a snowman this time!
    Passing through Wrightwood there's snow everywhere, this will be 2,000 feet lower.

-RB

Quote Originally Posted by bearthedog View Post
    Last time we would get some powder, but it wouldn't stay. Maybe we will have enough to make a snowman this time!

-RB
    I should be able to make this one. I plan on taking that whole week off (gotta burn vacation time).

Thanks for posting this.

I should be able to make this one. I plan on taking that whole week off (gotta burn vacation time).

Thanks for posting this.
    Feel free to meet us the day before and campout before the training starts.

This will be the last one until after the Alabama and Peru classes.

-RB

I might just have to do that.

Is there any particular type of clothing you recommend for snow in that area? I haven't seen snow in person since I was 9. Nor have I camped in any temps below 50deg.

Thanks!

A good dress and some matching heels, you'll be alright!

-RB

Is there any particular type of clothing you recommend for snow in that area? I haven't seen snow in person since I was 9. Nor have I camped in any temps below 50deg.

Thanks!
    Three and four layers of synthetic materials will usually do the trick. The first layer could be long underwear up against your skin. The second layer, a long sleeved shirt and regular hiking/ski pants for the bottom. The third layer, an insulation layer like a fleece or a down jacket. The fourth layer can be used around camp, but not to sleep, although it definitely could be. It is referred to as the shell, being a wind breaker or rain gear. Working on skills throughout the day will keep everyone warm and layers can be stripped off to prevent overheating.
    At night, the campfire will keep us cozy and comfortable, but when it comes time to retire to our sleeping shelters, all these layers can be used in conjunction with sleeping bags, pads, and bivies. Sleeping with layers of clothing add to the rating of sleeping bags and allows us to sleep in much colder temperatures than the manufacturer’s suggested rating for the bag.

22nd is wifey's birthday, but I'm going to try and do this.
    I won a free ESEE Junglas for visiting
    USA Made Blade
    - I can't believe my luck.
    call me silly
    Rat Pack #968

Thanks!
    +1 For what Reuben said. In addition I would add a couple pairs of wool socks, beanie and muffler(scarf or shemagh etc.) combo or a balaclava. Just try to keep cotton articles to a minimum, if they get wet(rain, snow or perspiration) it'll be really difficult to dry them out completely.
    -Ty
    Woodland Ops Grad 2011
    West Coast Grad 2011

Quote Originally Posted by THE L1ZARD KING View Post
    +1 For what Reuben said. In addition I would add a couple pairs of wool socks, beanie and muffler(scarf or shemagh etc.) combo or a balaclava. Just try to keep cotton articles to a minimum, if they get wet(rain, snow or perspiration) it'll be really difficult to dry them out completely.
    Thanks, up until now I had no idea what a balaclava was. Looks like a modern ninja mask lol. Never tried wool products either.

I'm building up a list. Concerning the mention of wind, I may need to pony up for a nice tent that can handle the snow as well. I can already see next year being an expensive one.

I will know Monday If I can swing this. It would be great for me,I have family close and have been to the area a few times.

Awesome that there's another class so soon! These guys are awesome survival instructors.

As for the concern about cold and snow...it's definitely about layers. I had three layers and I was more than warm. I found myself stripping off layers and putting them back on when needed. I slept in a hammock and I had to strip off layers when it was at it's coldest. I do have a warm sleeping bag rated at -25°...definitely not necessary but I was concerned too. If you bring plenty of layers you'll be fine. Follow Reuben's directions and you'll be a happy camper! And don't forget good socks!

Quote Originally Posted by stsparky View Post
    22nd is wifey's birthday, but I'm going to try and do this.
    Perfect B-Day present to her, give her a little girl’s night out while you hit the road with us.
    Not really related, but a guy from the last Alabama class gave himself the class for his 60th B-Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate91Bravo View Post
    I will know Monday If I can swing this. It would be great for me,I have family close and have been to the area a few times.
    Reza and I will be coming from the SHOT Show and hitting Wrightwood area late Thursday to camp the night before and get things ready for class on Friday. Do like Ty and Ben did and get an extra day for your money and camp with us the night before. It’s really a ritualistic bonfire with booze, food, dancing, and night head hunting.
    Actually, it’s just a campfire, but that sounded cooler!

Quote Originally Posted by santacruz View Post
    Awesome that there's another class so soon! These guys are awesome survival instructors.

As for the concern about cold and snow...it's definitely about layers. I had three layers and I was more than warm. I found myself stripping off layers and putting them back on when needed. I slept in a hammock and I had to strip off layers when it was at it's coldest. I do have a warm sleeping bag rated at -25°...definitely not necessary but I was concerned too. If you bring plenty of layers you'll be fine. Follow Reuben's directions and you'll be a happy camper! And don't forget good socks!
    Layer’s to prevent looking like the Michelin Man. Somehow in all that, I forgot socks. I usually have two pair with me all year-rain or shine. I wear one and at night put the other pair over it. I recommend THORL’S.