Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Feather stick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IMe15BBPxg

At about a minute and a half some mad wood curls

I just sort of tried that the other day actually out of hey this feels good. Made the cuts a LOT more controllable
    RP# 953
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Timy View Post
    I just sort of tried that the other day actually out of hey this feels good. Made the cuts a LOT more controllable
    What did?
    Get strops here ====>FLEXXXSTROPS
    MAD STROP SCIENTIST
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Randall View Post
    We modeled the ESEE-CM6 after Flexxx - the hottest, sexiest thing on this forum.
    Do I see sheets of plastic in your future-Dexter Morgan

The non working thumb assisting the cut, sorry shoulda specified
    RP# 953
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Timy View Post
    The non working thumb assisting the cut, sorry shoulda specified
    No worries, glad it helps bro...
    MAD STROP SCIENTIST
    We modeled the ESEE-CM6 after Flexxx - the hottest, sexiest thing on this forum.

Shirley Temple curls

Tracker Knife fuzz sticks 001 by jclservices, on Flickr

THANKS
    RP#141

I hear allot of people saying that the point is not to be ignited by spark. The way I have learned is quite the opposite.

When i make feather sticks my goal is to be able to light them with my fire steel every time. This is a way to start a fire in snowy or wet conditions with inner dry wood, and little kindling. It took me a long time to get it down but for me some of the most helpful things are a razor sharp knife, Good dry smoothe thumb size pieces of wood, nice THIN curls, and the angle with which you use the spine of your knife on your fire steel for most and best sparks. It doesnt matter how pretty it is. It just matters how thin and abundant your curls are. You want allot of very fine ones, super fine, with allot of oxygen in there. Use the whole length of the stick. The wood should be side wood, not really heart wood. Big dead long cured standing timber that you cut into sections, and then split into thumb size pieces works best for me. Nice and dry and smothe. Its the inside of the wood, so its protected from rain or snow regardless of the elements. I use the entire length of the stick.

With this approach I can get my feather sticks to light up from my ferro rod every single time. Most of the times i have to strike my rod a few times to get a good bunch of sparks though. Rarely do i get it going on the first strike. But i always get it going these days. I make about 5 - 8 sticks out of dry aged white paper birch that i cut into sections with my splitting maul and then baton to thumb size pieces. Works like a charm. Every time. Even in the rain. You just have to take your pieces from the inside of the wood. Preferably where the grain is straight and dry.

I will see if i can post some pics or video today.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    -DontTreadOnME201 (RAT PACK#1053, EMT, outdoorsman, NTA & NRA Member, and trapper)

"Relish the challenge of overcoming difficulties that would crush ordinary men...learn to suffer." - Mark Twight

Quote Originally Posted by jcl-MD View Post
    Shirley Temple curls

Tracker Knife fuzz sticks 001 by jclservices, on Flickr

THANKS
    Those are some cool curls.
    Rat Pack #73
    Pack Rat #73

this is a video I made this morning after reading the thread. I went out side and made about 5 -7 feather sticks. I bundled them up together, placing about 4 on the ground and another two on top. Getting their fuzz sections close together. I shave nice thin shaving for the curls. When you are able to get really thin curls you should be able to ignite them directly with the sparks from your fire steel. In this short little video it took me a few stokes of the fire steel to get them going, but they went up all the same. I always feel a bit pressured when i record stuff for other people to see, and never wind up being able to do anything as fast or as good as i can when no ones watching. ha ha.

But any way, I chop up some white paper birch, and then cut the logs into pieces, which i baton with my axe into thumb size sticks. From there I make feather sticks on the last half of the stick, but you can use the whole length. I have done them both ways, but find i really only need at a minimum the last third of the stick to make curls. As long as your knife is really sharp and you master the technique of thin curls you should always be able to ignite your feather stick bundle pretty quickly with just sparks. Thats the whole point of feather sticks to me. It is a way to be able to make a fire in the rain or snow when no dry wood is around. If you chop dead standing, and then cut into it, the inside of the wood will always be dry, no matter how wet it is out side. And if you can make feather sticks you can forgo having to look for dry kindling every where in the rainy area. You will be able to make a fire in any weather condition. You want wood that is side wood, not heart wood, wood from the inside of the log. The outside can be wet as long as the wood is good sturdy, non punky, wood.

I have made fires with just feather stick and fire steel with as little as 2 or 3 feather sticks, but the best would be 6 - 10. the more the better. The more paper thin, big, full, close together curls, with allot of oxygen in them the better. With a little practice you should be able to ignite them every time with just your fire steel, even though you may not always get them with the first strike as you see here in this video. I only get them on the first trike pretty rarely. It usually takes me at least 2 or three strikes and some times quite a few more.

Sorry I didn't record me making the feather sticks, i should have thought of that. But i didn't think of it until it was time to light them with the fire steel. I can make another video soon showing my methods, and how to make good working feather sticks that you can light up with your ferro rod every time. Its all about practice though. If any one has any questions feel free to ask. This is just one method. I'm sure there are allot of people with similar methods and they are all basically the same. How you manipulate the sticks after combustion will require a bit of practice but this became a nice morning fire this morning to have breakfast by. You will usually have to prop them up and move them around a bit to get good oxygen in there, depending on how they are set up. Its good to prop the non feather end up on something so the fire can burn up towards the stick and catch. I cant really do to long of videos because i have no editing soft ware, but if and when i make another video showing how to make feather sticks I will have to make them in pieces. Thanks for watching!
    Last edited by DontTreadOnMe201; 06-03-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    -DontTreadOnME201 (RAT PACK#1053, EMT, outdoorsman, NTA & NRA Member, and trapper)

"Relish the challenge of overcoming difficulties that would crush ordinary men...learn to suffer." - Mark Twight

I sharpened up my work horse, and wanted to add some curls. I think its ready for summer.
    Not confused..Simply couldn't think of something brilliant... Took 1/2 hour for this, even this was a stretch.

I wish my feather sticks looked that good hahahaha. GREAT JOB
    2 is 1 and 1 is NONE!

MAD STROP SCIENTIST

Flexxx man, you gotta make a video!
    RP# 953

Video up, made it quick.

MAD STROP SCIENTIST

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMe201 View Post
    When i make feather sticks my goal is to be able to light them with my fire steel every time.
    same here since there might not always be a convenient tinder nearby. you saw me do it with the lite machete - the user should be able to do that with any knife or axe, it's just a good skill to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexxx View Post
    Video up, made it quick.

this is a better technique imho: full fist-grip on the knife and use the edge closest to the handle...that's me with nadz taking the pic. the knife is stationary and the only thing moving there is the twig - makes the thinnest curls that'll easily light with a firesteel.

reuben teaches the same full-fist technique:

nra | beckerhead #33 | rat pack #716
    reviews: kifaru | osprey | evernew | goalzero | etc.