Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation SHIPPING KNIVES TO CANADA - a guide for US sellers

hopefully this can become a sticky....

Shipping knives to Canada from the USA - things you need to know:

almost any knife can be shipped, there are exceptions:

NO switchblades, OTF/automatics (these can ONLY be owned by law enforcement officers) , push daggers, gravity knives or knives with fully enclosed handles (ie knives with built in brass knuckles etc). SOME knives with enclosed guards are allowed, like the SOG Tigershark.

ASSISTED OPENERS (where the blade is opened via an extension on the blade itself) are LEGAL......however........if the pivot is loose and the knife can be flicked open with a wrist flick, that knife will be deemed ILLEGAL........

NO knives with ivory handles are allowed, this seems to be a gray area however..........

double edged blades, swords, cane swords are all legal to own and possess in canada.

please realize that ANY folder knife that can be flicked open with a hard wrist flick, will be deemed ILLEGAL by the Canada Customs officer. THIS INCLUDES PERFECTLY LEGAL KNIVES THAT HAPPEN TO HAVE A LOOSE PIVOT BOLT...............please please please tighten the pivot bolt BEFORE shipping.

----------------

Shipping methods:

the one and only shipping method USA sellers should use to ship to Canada is USPS. Yes, this means a trip to the post office and a form to fill out. Please read on as to why USPS is preferred by Canadian buyers...........USPS integrates seamlessly with Canada's Postal System (Canada Post). A parcel can be tracked on either USPS or Canada Post tracking websites. As well if there is any Brokerage fees, they are usually very minimal (6 - 10 bucks)

UPS - DO NOT USE> UPS charges a "fee" ranging from $40 and up for 99% of all parcels sent to Canada. While UPS is convenient for USA sellers, it is pure hell for us Canucks..........in the wallet...........i once had a UPS brokerage fee of $200 for a $75 blade.

fedex, puralator etc, same thing < insane brokerage fees....do not use.

USPS is the number 1 choice for shipping to canada. Please please please use USPS, we Canadians dont mind waiting a few extra days or paying a few extra bucks for your time in going down to the post office.

There is a form at the post office you need to fill out, stating the contents of the parcel. Camping Tools or Cutlery or Hunting Tools is what you put in the description. In the VALUE section, you can either put it as a gift, or list the real value, HOWEVER..........please be advised that any value amount listed MAY be assessed by Canada Customs and charged to the buyer.

Packaging a knife for shipping:

Canada Customs peeps does NOT like surprises.....surprises like getting cut or poked. This makes them angry and they will seize the item and blacklist the BUYER. PLEASE make a heavy cardboard sheath if shipping a fixed blade that does not have a sheath. Duct tape and heavy cardboard are your friend. As for other knives....a simple zip tie around folders (esp assisted openers) prevents the customs dude or dudette from any surprises. Please tighten the pivot bolt on any folder as well.

Small boxes or envelopes are just fine for shipping, no need for big boxes and wads of packing material. Keep it simple, small light and cheap.
    hope this helps the USA sellers!
    Last edited by Bushman5; 11-20-2011 at 05:22 PM.
    I'm a Canadian with friends who are Patriots......

RIP John McAleese : TRIBUTE TO A FALLEN SOLDIER

ALWAYS REMEMBER A FALLEN SOLDIER - SAS IN OMAN 40 - 1 (LINK)[B][I]

Don't forget, if the knife is made in the USA make sure this is clearly marked in the description section of the customs form, then it is exempt from import duties under NAFTA, which means when we pick it it up at the post office we pay only the small Canada Post brokerage fee and HST/GST. I prefer the description "Camping Cutlery Made in USA", I've never has a problem with this description.
    Last edited by MCKROB; 06-16-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: sp

RATPACK #37

^ YES!!!!! excellent point......anything made in the USA is exempt from import duties...this includes knives made in the USA. Thanks Mckrob for chiming in!

Good points, tightening the pivots on folders is a very important step when sending one up to Canada.

But also for now Canadian Postal workers are on Strike and anything mailed out will not get there
    RP#3 BK#25

A very nice write up. It coveres everything I can think of off hand.

As for the strike, just wait a little bit till its over and eveybody is back working like they should be now. I'm sure updates will be posted when things change

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk
    Photobucket
    The True North strong and free

Just from my experience: customs officers have discretion. I ordered a sword cane once - it was turned back. Reason being, the customs officer considered it a concealed weapon.

Good post Bushman.
    North of the Border, South of the River

I live in rugged New Brunswick Canada.Deep in the woods
    Thank you Bushman 5. You are the man.What a great resource.

Once knifeworks sent me a Spyderco native 1 via UPS to my door.by the time all was said and done I paid somewhere to the tune of 90$ for a 35$ knife.

I bought my snow and Neally Hudson bay axe from a military surplus store on maine.They UPS'd me that time too. I paid 100% fees.50$ ax 50$ in fees. I love that ax. Good thing cause I paid for it twice.

As an avid knife trader and buyer PLEASE USE USPS!!! They are our only friend up here.
    "The forest is my chapel.The trees are the pillars and walls of an endless cathedral.The wind in the trees is my choir.The land gives me water for my thirst and food for my famine.My blades grant me safe passage,give me food and make my shelter.Survival is my religion and I am it's disciple"

RP#617

It goes both ways...

I have never minded shipping to Canada and always use USPS simply because of the charges it saves our brothers and sisters north of us. With that being said, I recently made a trade with someone north of the border and they shipped via UPS, who sent me a bill today for $50+. After looking it up, it seems that if the value is listed for more than $200 on the customs form, they pop you for $25.25 for Entry Charges plus a disbursement fee and a duty fee. While I know it wasn't the shippers fault, it would've made a difference in my decision to make the trade.
    "When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Tecumseh
    R.P.#579

Good guide. I didn't know they were picky about loose pivots. I gotta remember to double check that.
    Lazy Lizard Gear - My Youtube Channel - Rat Pack #163

"Stay safe. Have fun. Always know your way out. Always know where your blade is." - DontTreadOnMe201
    "Conspiracies: the coloring books and crayons of the adult generation." - Jeff Randal

it's just the whole stigma surrounding butterfly knives and jazz like that. we know that a knife is a knife, but the general public just believe whatever they are told by the crack pot team we call a government and what is in the movies

DirtySouth raises a good point, Canadians should ONLY use Canada Post to ship to the USA......

UPS is the devil........

A note here about the mention of ivory. Ivory as well as certain woods like Brazilian Rosewood and many other materials are banned from international trade HOWEVER you can ship accross borders with proper paperwork if the material is pre -CITES ban or the ivory has been harvested and used under CITES guidelines and is accompanied with paperwork to support the chain of custody. See the US Fish and Wildlife web site on shipping CITES banned materials for info on this. This applies not only to Canada but most other countries in the world since most countries are signatories to the CITES treaty. re: CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.)
    Randall's Adventure & Training

Porque la vida es ahora!

Quote Originally Posted by texastony View Post
    But also for now Canadian Postal workers are on Strike and anything mailed out will not get there
    I do believe the postal workers are back to work tomorrow(Tues. June 27), so this isn't an issue anymore. About time too, I'm waiting for a package that shipped out on June 13th

thats what the word on the street is anyways.

•