Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chris Caine Survival Tool?

Any of you have any experience with the Chris Caine Survival Tool? Looks pretty useful in the small machete/big knife realm. Handle looks comfy, and I've always been a fan of parang style blades. Can't seem to find much info about the thing online.

interesting look - pricey, though.
    Erik
    there are 2 reasons I've lived this long...

a) I heal really quick.
    b) I learn even faster where pain and/or blood is involved...

AKA 1066vik RP #434 BH #57

If you are on Facebook I can put you in touch with a man that uses one and loves it to death. I prefer a machete myself instead of a big knife.

Looks to be a variant of the Lofty Wiseman survival parang knife. Some view them as too heavy and pricey.
    I won a free ESEE Junglas for visiting
    USA Made Blade
    - I can't believe my luck.
    call me silly
    Rat Pack #968

I think Chris Caine is a Lofty Wiseman's understudy

Gordon Mackay | My Photos

For close to $300, it BETTER be good!
    Rat Pack # 177
    Gibbs' Rule #9: Never go anywhere without a knife.

Yeah I just did the conversion from Pounds to Dollars. Didn't realize there was that much disparity. The Dollar sucks right now.

There are some on eBay ...if that interests you.
    I won a free ESEE Junglas for visiting
    USA Made Blade
    - I can't believe my luck.
    call me silly
    Rat Pack #968

It's similar to the Lofty Wiseman Survival Tool but I'd prefer a real Parang/Golok for far less money. Good technique is most important.
    Rat Pack #872

it's probably just me, but the 'tool' just screams "GIMMICK".

I think the design is about 90% of the way to being a design I'd like. The lines are just slightly off to me. The tip seems to me like it should either be pointier for better utility, or more obtuse for dedicated chopping ability. The handle form looks like it could use some tweaking regarding angle of the junction of the blade/handle. Just my thoughts based on the product image--I've not handled one so I could be off the mark.

RP# 6 "To live at all is miracle enough" ~Mervyn Peake

Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher View Post
    it's probably just me, but the 'tool' just screams "GIMMICK".
    I wouldn't call it gimmicky. Watched several vids of it in use on Youtube, and it appears to do everything the website claims. Throws massive chunks of wood when chopping, and looks to do detail work very well also.

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades View Post
    I think the design is about 90% of the way to being a design I'd like. The lines are just slightly off to me. The tip seems to me like it should either be pointier for better utility, or more obtuse for dedicated chopping ability. The handle form looks like it could use some tweaking regarding angle of the junction of the blade/handle. Just my thoughts based on the product image--I've not handled one so I could be off the mark.
    And therein lies the rub when purchasing anything via the interweb. The handle looks very comfy to me, and the point looks just about perfect also, but I'd have to fondle it a bit myself to be sure. Around here, it's purty near impossible to find a knife that doesn't say Buck, Case, or Gerber on it in stores. Two of those three are good, but I do wish I had more variety to choose from. I'm pretty sure I'd have spent a lot less on knives over the years if I'd been able to examine potential purchases up close before dropping the cash. So many look great on a computer screen or the pages of a catalog, but have minor, not flaws, but quirks, that don't agree with me.

I sure do like the looks of it but that means nothing in use. I'll stick to my Junglas or Lite machete.

Yeah!!! Lite Machete!

RP# 6 "To live at all is miracle enough" ~Mervyn Peake

Quote Originally Posted by stsparky View Post
    Looks to be a variant of the Lofty Wiseman survival parang knife. Some view them as too heavy and pricey.
    It does look just like the parang that Lofty uses, maybe just a little bit larger. For the money though you could pick up a WHOLE LOT of machete's that'll do just as good of a job.
    One Shot, One Kill...

United States Marine Corps
    Born Nov. 10, 1775
    Tun Tavern, Philadelphia
    Semper Fi!