Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

stripping and patina questions

I need your advice guys,

Ive been looking at a threads here and on BF of esee knives with the coating stripped and forced patinas applied, and I thought to myself hey that looks much better for a user knife compared to a scratched up factory coating so I have a couple of questions.

I want to strip the blade of my esee 4, izula, and 5 that should be here very soon. I only want to strip the blade and leave the coating on the handle.

from my reading I gathered a good paint stripper should do the job and just tape up the handle so it doesnt get stripper on it.

Ok so I get the coating off, whats the steel like underneath? is it rough so the coating will bind to it? will it need sanding to get a clean smooth finish that will shed moisture better?

And lastly what is the best thing to use to force a patina?
    Not everyone respects the Law, everyone respects the Gun

RP 1049

any one?

RP 1049

Check this post out.. he takes a pic of each step.
    http://jungletraining.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5192

Alright, so the steel underneath sort of has a bead blasted texture. You have to sand this down or it will attract rust like crazy.

Its tough to use a stripper on the blade and just tape the handle, when I did this with my bk2, stripper still got under the tape, so I ended up stripping the whole thing.

Patina, grapefruit, vinegar, mustard, horse radish, take your pick really. I got a REALLY nice patina from just the stripper turned my blade blue.

Of all the patinas I have seen, THREATX3 did one with grapefruit and it came out BEAUTIFUL!!

My recommendations are dont strip the blades until you wreck the coatings. Use the coating up, then strip.
    RP# 953
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Timy View Post
    Alright, so the steel underneath sort of has a bead blasted texture. You have to sand this down or it will attract rust like crazy.

Its tough to use a stripper on the blade and just tape the handle, when I did this with my bk2, stripper still got under the tape, so I ended up stripping the whole thing.

Patina, grapefruit, vinegar, mustard, horse radish, take your pick really. I got a REALLY nice patina from just the stripper turned my blade blue.

Of all the patinas I have seen, THREATX3 did one with grapefruit and it came out BEAUTIFUL!!

My recommendations are dont strip the blades until you wreck the coatings. Use the coating up, then strip.
    ok bro so when you stripped the bk2 did the stripper disolve the tape?

RP 1049

When I stripped my 4 I wrapped the handle in tape and applied some stripper to the blade only. Then used a scraper to get the paint off. Afterward had to clean up blade with sandpaper. I dont force patina, just let mine come naturally. Right now I'm without it as I sent it out for a professional convex.
    Rat Pack #710

Eric

Patina thread and no pics?! :-)

My stripped patina izzy and 6

Stripped with acetone, hit them with sand paper and used gun blue and a sponge to apply patina.

Before the izzy went completely bare it was only topless like how u want to do it....

Last edited by Pea-Ta; 04-24-2011 at 11:16 PM.
    RAT PACK #855

Those look awesome pea, nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pea-Ta View Post

Stripped with acetone, hit them with sand paper and used gun blue and a sponge to apply patina.
    wicked ,pm sent

RP 1049

Pm replied

Let me know if you got any more questions and make sure you update us with pics !!!
    RAT PACK #855

no it just sort of bubbled and got underneath the tape.
    RP# 953
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

pea-ta man can I see some more pics or info on how you did the teeth on the izzy? I have one I want to do that to but terrified to start
    RP# 953

Yes, I will post up a walk through
    RAT PACK #855

I like to use lemons first cut a bunch of them up with said knife let knife sit with juce on it then rub balde down more with more juice and let sit. Then i like to cut oinions up with the knife (only slice onions into rings) then set the rings on the blade for a few minutes. The longer the darker and it puts some tiger stripe looking patina on the blade. Good luck
    Better to HAVE and not NEED then to NEED and not HAVE

HellRazor Guest

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pea-Ta View Post

Before the izzy went completely bare it was only topless like how u want to do it....

Man... that Izzy has the most beautiful patina I've ever seen. Excellent job bro! I'd pay you to do one for me!