Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Paracord Project - Shoulder Strap

When I was assembling my PSK I ran in to, two problems at the same time. I needed a shoulder strap and I ran out of room inside the pack for the 30' of paracord I wanted to carry with it. The answer seemed obvious. After posting some pics of the PSK some folks asked for a tutorial on how to make the shoulder strap. So here it goes.

The original strap was made with something like 40' of cord. One 30' section and a 10' section.

This time around I have one 50' section and a 12' section. Thats 62' feet, you figure 7 inner strands + the outer sheathing this gives you a total of 496' of usable cordage.

The great thing about this type weave over a regular braid or a cobra braid is it can be made available for use in just a few seconds rather than spending 30 minutes untangling a complex braid.

All thats needed for this project is 62+ feet of paracord, a knife, a lighter, 1 pot of coffee and about two hours of free time.

Determine the length of your strap, mine is 48" long. Fold your 12' section into 3 even lengths.

Tie a simple loop in one end. Keeping all your strands in a straight row do the same at the other end.

Then tie your 50' length off below the loop on your inner strands. I wrap the cord around a couple times and then feed back up through the resulting loops.

Now start a simple weave. You get the idea from the picture, over, under, over, under and so on.

Once you have a few rows woven in push them up toward the top. Avoid pulling these weaves very tight to the sides. Creating a really tight weave will result in a stiff finished product, that won't use nearly as much cord. Also your cord will look like an accordion once removed.

Then when you are inches from the end, you run out of cord.. Son of a $%^#* !

You have a few options.
    A. You can pout and cry about it
    B. You can Splice in more cord
    C. You can push the cord down the strap leaving small gaps in the weave
    D. You can start from the top tightening up the weave as you move down the strap producing extra slack to finish the project.

This is what it looks like if you space the weave out.

I chose to tighten up the whole thing. This only took an extra 15 minutes and produced just enough cord to finish it up.

The Final Product..

To separate the cord really fast, cut the black and gray knot off the end and pull on the black cord, this will unravel quite quickly.

You'll have to take my word for it, I'm not cutting this thing.
    Last edited by Decklin; 03-28-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Excellent! I started doing monkey fists and bracelets last year just for fun but haven't tried anything that size yet. Thanks for posting the tutorial pics.

Very nice post Decklin. Made me think I could do it.
    If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkancott View Post
    Very nice post Decklin. Made me think I could do it.
    This is really quite easy. I started messing around a bit with paracord over the winter. I am no paracord / knot tying guru. This is just a simple way to store an emergency supply of cord. It's not pretty but it works.

How long did that take you to make/
    Rat Pack #710

Eric

O_o, I'm thinking about doing that Decklin

thanks man
    -Benjamin

Quote Originally Posted by Kyhunt View Post
    How long did that take you to make/
    About 2 hours

Very cool!

Thanks for the tutorial!

Thanks a lot Decklin.

I'm going to order some new paracord soon and thought about a 1000ft spool this time... Might be a reason to get the spool now and prepare myself for the US made ESEE Pack
    Rat Pack #889

Quote Originally Posted by Decklin View Post
    About 2 hours
    Thanks. Also thanks for showing how. I see these type pf things and often wonder how it was done.
    Rat Pack #710

Eric

great post. ill have to try this as soon as i get some more cord
    RP# 538
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Randall View Post
    Double up on the condoms if you're gonna be screwin any hippies.

Looks excellent, I like the cobra myself.....its just simple and quick
    Get strops here ====>FLEXXXSTROPS
    MAD STROP SCIENTIST
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Randall View Post
    We modeled the ESEE-CM6 after Flexxx - the hottest, sexiest thing on this forum.
    Do I see sheets of plastic in your future-Dexter Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Flexxx View Post
    Looks excellent, I like the cobra myself.....its just simple and quick
    Good tutorial.

I like the cobra as well, but it does not just unravel if you need a length of cord, it is more decorative than functional. You have to untie knot for knot until you have what you need.
    This seems to be a lot more user friendly if you actually intend to use the cord you are carrying.

SJ

Cool idea. The tutorial is very clear. How does it look when you are wearing it?
    "Buy the best and only cry once." | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Awsome work. My wife just put a strap like that on a duffel bag we use to carry paracord around in. We are also getting ready to do a gun sling for my father in law. I will post pics when we get it done
    Paracord needs?
    www.7valleysurvival.com