Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Concealed Carry While Backpacking - Solution

The problem I was faced with was being able to carry my Glock 23, in a manner I was comfortable with while wearing a backpack with a large padded waist belt. There were a few requirements that I wanted to meet.
    - Comfort
    - Quick Access
    - Does not advertise "I have a gun"

The solution was a Maxpedition Medium Tactile Pocket

Maxpedition Medium TacTile Pocket
    •Main compartment: 7" (H) x 6" (W) x 1.5" (D) with mesh divider, drainage grommet, paracord loop in front center
    •Modular webbing: 3 rows x 4 channels in front; 3 rows x 1 channel on sides
    •Attachment: 5" TacTie™ (sold separately)
    •Other features: D-rings for optional shoulder strap
    •Empty weight: 4.1oz

As seen in the above picture and stats the pocket comes with mesh divider, and an interior paracord loop. Both of these were removed to allow more room for my hand, and eliminate anything on the inside of the pocket hanging up on the trigger.

Also it comes with a two way zipper and has plastic D-Rings neer the zipper ends at the top of the pouch. I removed both of the stock cord pulls and the D-Ring toward the front of the pouch. I added an oversized zipper pull to one zipper. This will allow my flippers to grab the zipper pull and none of the other crap dangling off the top of the pouch.

The Glock rests inside the pocket with about a 1/2 inch to spare in both directions. It is a snug fit, so you have to draw with some intent to avoid any hangups.

I connected the pocket to the waist belt of my Kelty Redwing 50 with 4 Maxpedition Tac-Ties. Two wrap the entire belt and are woven through 1" adjustment strap on the outside of the belt, and the other two are woven just through the 1" adjustment belt. This is doing a great job of keeping the pocket from moving around on me.

With a little practice it is pretty quick and easy to draw from.

That is an interesting alternative to the Wilderness safepacker. I have been looking into the safepacker recently, but I'll have to consider this now too! Nice pictures, thanks for posting this.

nice!

Thats pretty freakin' slick.
    I have been looking for some ideas like this, however it must accommodate a full-size HK45.
    Looks like from the images that you have adapted well to it.

I keep my .38 in a Kifaru stashit.

that is a great idea decklin, now i have got to buy one now.
    i used a modified rite in the rain, for my pistol.
    thanks

Jeff Randall is offline Co-Owner Randall's Adventure & Training ® / ESEE Knives ®
    Great idea. Does the 7x6 get on your nerves riding there though? I have found that most anything too big on the waist band eventually pisses me off. My arms hit it while walking or it just feels unconfrtable riding on my side. I've got a small Uncle Mike's on my waist bad carrying the airweight and I'm liking it a lot.

ESEE Knives

Randall's Adventure & Training

----Long live Warren Zevon

Quote Originally Posted by Northjames View Post
    That is an interesting alternative to the Wilderness safepacker. I have been looking into the safepacker recently, but I'll have to consider this now too! Nice pictures, thanks for posting this.
    I looked at the safe packer but there was no way I was dropping $70 on a pouch. Thats only $30 bucks less than I have in to my Safariland Raptor on my duty belt. Also to me the Safepacker looks like it would be a terrible PIA to draw from. I avoid any holster set up that has plastic buckles...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Randall View Post
    Great idea. Does the 7x6 get on your nerves riding there though? I have found that most anything too big on the waist band eventually pisses me off. My arms hit it while walking or it just feels unconfrtable riding on my side. I've got a small Uncle Mike's on my waist bad carrying the airweight and I'm liking it a lot.
    When I ordered it I was sure it was going to be a bit cumbersome, but honestly it is thin enough I barely notice it. I don't mind it being there at all.

Thinking about this. Have you guys considered adding a row or two of molle webbing to the padded section of waist belt on the Junglas Pack? I tried looking for packs that offered that but could find very few. Kifaru and Mystery Ranch are the only ones I know of that offer a decent waistbelt with molle webbing.

I ended up adding a Small Rolly Poly to the other side for a Nalgene Bottle, now that sticks out a bit. If I could lighten my load a some and put both my water bottles in the side pockets of the pack I would add another Medium Tactile Pouch on my left side for maps, compass, etc...

What if the zipper sticks,haven't found one of those style pouchs that the zipper doesn't eventually stick

Quote Originally Posted by paul13usa View Post
    What if the zipper sticks,haven't found one of those style pouchs that the zipper doesn't eventually stick
    Maxpedition uses YKK zippers, I'm not aware of any known problems. Also the material used in Maxpedition's stuff is quite rigid along with it being mounted with 4 Tac Ties across the back adds to the rigidity which all helps to give a clean zipper pull. I don't expect to see any problems with it.

I got a couple of their pouches ,just for the heck of it next time I go out ,I'll run them in a "wash" live in the desert and get some talcum powder dirt in the zipper,it's a neat idea it's just the zipper part that makes me uncomfortable
    Of course I'm just used to wearing a shoulder rig and a cocked and locked 1911

[QUOTE=Decklin;39429]I looked at the safe packer but there was no way I was dropping $70 on a pouch. Thats only $30 bucks less than I have in to my Safariland Raptor on my duty belt. Also to me the Safepacker looks like it would be a terrible PIA to draw from. I avoid any holster set up that has plastic buckles...

I'm with you there on the quick release...That is the aspect of it that I don't like. I like your solution of a nice big zipper pull. I had also been looking at admin type pouches with a velcro flap for a Glock 27.

Quote Originally Posted by Northjames View Post
    I'm with you there on the quick release...That is the aspect of it that I don't like. I like your solution of a nice big zipper pull. I had also been looking at admin type pouches with a velcro flap for a Glock 27.
    That sounds like it would work well to. Anything that's quick to get at and easy to re-secure.

That is actually VERY similar to the small ESEE pack kit bag we recently sold out of. It also has YKK zippers and is about the same size.
    Randall's Adventure & Training

Porque la vida es ahora!

Dang, that's pretty clever. Nice job.