Foam for Kydex molding.

Hi, guys. I was working with the foam from knifekits for my Kydex sheaths, but I noticed that I wasn't getting quite the definition I got for my first project. I went back to the foam I was using and sure enough, the definition improved. The foam I was using was black rubber insulation foam from Home Depot, and so far, it works better. What foam do you guys use?

I use the stuff from Knife kits. The stuff I was using was cheap stuff from Micheals crafts. So I have seen much better results myself. I may have to look into that stuff, is the retention any better?
    ESEE-5, Izula-II, VG Izula #14, VG Izula-II #16, Candiru

Quote Originally Posted by dakotad16 View Post
    I use the stuff from Knife kits. The stuff I was using was cheap stuff from Micheals crafts. So I have seen much better results myself. I may have to look into that stuff, is the retention any better?
    Yes, much better. I'm using .060 Kydex, but even with .080, it's a big difference.

I have made my own press and have tried different foams but the one I have found that gives the best defintion is the foam pads used for kneeling on in your garden. The ones I have have flowers on and a opening on the end that forms a " handle". Maybe not too manly but they sure work.

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee5425 View Post
    I have made my own press and have tried different foams but the one I have found that gives the best defintion is the foam pads used for kneeling on in your garden. The ones I have have flowers on and a opening on the end that forms a " handle". Maybe not too manly but they sure work.
    Interesting, where do you find those?

I believe my wife bought them at the Dollar store or Wal-Mart, I've seen them in both stores.

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee5425 View Post
    I believe my wife bought them at the Dollar store or Wal-Mart, I've seen them in both stores.
    I will definitely look into it. Thaks for sharing.

You can try using the blue sleeping bag pad from Walmart. You'll have to double up on them since they are thinner but you have plenty of material to work with.

My experience is kinda the opposite of yours. In my honest opinion the thicker high quality neoprene foam (like knifekits and others) does give better results (on .080 and .093). But it's more expensive and not as convenient to pick up.

Also remember that your press set up, Kydex temp, etc plays a big part as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 9point9 View Post
    You can try using the blue sleeping bag pad from Walmart. You'll have to double up on them since they are thinner but you have plenty of material to work with.

My experience is kinda the opposite of yours. In my honest opinion the thicker high quality neoprene foam (like knifekits and others) does give better results (on .080 and .093). But it's more expensive and not as convenient to pick up.

Also remember that your press set up, Kydex temp, etc plays a big part as well.
    That might be it. I just use a vice with two boards and foam in the middle. I heat it up to around 250-260 F.

4 Stuff in one line ? What can I do for you ? :alreadygone:

I just use a vice with two boards and foam in the middle. I heat it up to around 250-260 F.
    Have you got result to show us ?
    I did one try but the way to do it look more primitive, so wonder what could be the result without all the foam/kydex stuff
    Have a knife day !

I got some pieces of neoprene online for my press. Haven't gotten around to try though. Got the tip from one of the kydex makers' youtube tutorial.

I use the Light Tan Mega Foam from Knife Kits. I get real good definition every time.
    TOA # 45
    regalia.innovations@gmail.com