S&W Shield Recall

Hey guys, evidently there is a recall notice going around about the S&W Shield, due to a trigger problem. MAC posted this on his page a few minutes ago, so just sharing it here because I know several of you have shields.

http://www.thebangswitch.com/smith-w...shield-recall/

"Davidson’s Guns (Gallery of Guns) released an email today with the following message:

To All Smith & Wesson Customers:

Smith & Wesson is in the process of announcing a Safety Alert relating to the lower trigger on M&P Shield pistols. We should be in a position to provide you with more details as to the scope of the affected pistols in a few days. In the meantime, please stop all sales and shipments of M&P Shield pistols pending further notice. We appreciate your assistance in ensuring that the products we provide to customers meet our high standards for quality and safety.

I’ve contacted Davidson’s by phone and confirmed the authenticity of the email.

As of right now no further details are available. If you have a Shield you may want to contact S&W Customer Support. If you’re carrying a Shield, you may was to temporarily transition to another carry gun until more information is available about the severity of the defect and what serial number ranges might be affected."
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Rat Pack 1022

Thanks I'll have to check this out.

By lower trigger, I am guessing they mean the hinged part. Doesn't seem like there is too much that can go wrong with that part. I don't own a shield, but it will be interesting to hear what the problem is.

Is MAC on here too? I saw his post on twitter. Here is a link to S&W's video of what to check and see if there's a problem... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsQWGS-P9Pk

I looked at mine and it's fine. Think I got it back in May.

I saw this one this morning too. I have a really early one, so hopefully I am covered. I will have to check it when I get home this evening.
    Rat Pack #950

I also have an earlier one (bought in Spring of last year) and it functions correctly.

I own a 9mm shield and saw the recall. I was nervous at first but after reading through the recall, it was easy enough to check my shield. The trigger functions just fine on mine.

From reading through the details of the recall, it sound someone screwed up on a few of the newer shields and they don't have a good record of it so they're taking the safe route and including all serial numbers in the recall. I'm just glad it was a small issue that can easily be checked, instead of having to ship the gun back to S&W for inspection. I still really like my shield- accurate, concealable, and very manageable recoil for a small handgun.

I don't really see why a bad trigger safety would cause it to fire when dropped, unless something got hung on the trigger as it is falling.

I think you're right tje803. They're just covering their asses. I actually took mine to the gunshow today and sold it. Bought an HK P7. I got stopped about every 10ft asking about the recall, but nobody had actually seen one that was bad.

Mine is fine. I picked mine up the day they were released to dealers. I have had it for awhile. Need to get out and shoot it some more. Great little gun!
    Rat Pack #950

Thanks for posting this, didn't know about this issue until reading it here. I'll check mine out ASAP.
    RatPack #1074
    PackRat #14