The Pocket at Pigeon Mountain WMA

I unexpectedly ended up with most of the day off yesterday and decided to head up to my favorite local hiking spot, Crockford-Pigeon Mountain WMA.

Coming in the back way from Hwy 157

I drove around a little on top of the mountain, trying to decide which trail I wanted to hike. It was foggy and the rain was supposed to start anytime.

I decided to head to the valley, specifically the Pocket area.

The Pocket was once one of the focal points of the mining that happened in the area and was the destination of the small "Dinky" track that ran through tunnels in the ridges such as the one in my Estelle thread. Several years ago the state built a wooden walkway in an area down stream from the waterfall that attracts plant photographers and many people who don't want to or can't physically hit one of the harder trails.

This was the most dangerous part of my day, I do believe. The walkway was slicker than ice.

A newer section, which replaced a portion that was wiped out by a mudslide from the side of the mountain.

The end of the walkway, the beginning of the path up to the falls.

Last edited by Casey; 06-18-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Some random pictures of the creek bed below the falls.

No water coming over the falls today, just a little flowing from the cracks fed by the stream above.

The goat path that is my way up.

A couple from the top of the falls looking down.

The creek is dry where it meets the falls because farther up it drops through the ground, a common thing here because of the limestone and sandstone.

Last edited by Casey; 06-18-2013 at 11:20 AM.

As I started up the mountain on the Pocket Loop I decided that I would add the Cane Trail and possibly some of the Estelle Mine Trail to my day's wanderings.
    And then the storm that had been threatening came down full force, so I didn't get any pictures of most of the trail. Those I did take while I alternated between hiking in the downpour and tucking in under rocks to avoid the lightning turned out mostly as just blurred shots.
    After getting up the mountain (lots of elevation gain in a short time), I quickened my pace to the Cane Trail and dropped down to Estelle. I was soaked and enjoyed a half hour or so of break with no rain while exploring what was once an old rail bed and is now a road.

The storm started back and I retraced my route to the Cane Trail and finished the Pocket Loop. Another break in the rain gave me time to get a few more pictures and scout for some firewood.

I collected a little wood, some scavenged from older campsites.The immediate area had been picked clean of downed and hanging dead branches both (the area I was in often sees large groups of campers) so it took a little while to gather what I hoped would be enough. Everything was very wet.

The Izula 2 split some small stuff to get to the dry center.

The fire got going just as the rain started again. Thankfully it never poured hard as it had earlier in the day, just enough that I had to keep the flame covered a bit.

I went to investigate a sound and almost forgot about this one.

Attempting to dry my socks a little while I ate.

A little dessert.

And some dry socks for the eventual walk out.

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Casey; 06-18-2013 at 01:56 PM.

looked like a nice hike! i like hiking when the woods are wet - here, orange newts come out by the dozens and that unique woodsy smell. that burned hot dog reminds me of a famous hot dog spot here, called "rutt's hut". they cook the hot dogs several ways and it ranges from crispy to really burned to a crisp it's close to a charcoal texture and taste, haha.

that izula 2 with the orange handles looks good!
    nra | beckerhead #33 | rat pack #716
    reviews: kifaru | osprey | evernew | goalzero | etc.

Looks like a cool place to spend the day. Thx for posting.
    Creed Rocks!
    Pop Evil Rips!
    Pack Rat #23
    Esee fishing club #4
    Coldwaterspam, Spamwaterboys

Quote Originally Posted by JV3 View Post
    looked like a nice hike! i like hiking when the woods are wet - here, orange newts come out by the dozens and that unique woodsy smell. that burned hot dog reminds me of a famous hot dog spot here, called "rutt's hut". they cook the hot dogs several ways and it ranges from crispy to really burned to a crisp it's close to a charcoal texture and taste, haha.

that izula 2 with the orange handles looks good!
    Thanks, the more I use it with the TKC handles the more I like them.

I enjoy rainy days. It just makes everything look so bright and alive.
    I don't mind my hotdogs well done, but I did have to scrape that one a little before I ate it.

Quote Originally Posted by coldwaterboys View Post
    Looks like a cool place to spend the day. Thx for posting.
    Thanks. Pigeon is great. There's always lots to do there and we are lucky enough to live just a short drive from it.
    Last edited by Casey; 06-19-2013 at 09:07 PM.

What part of Georgia is that trail.
    Tough Times Don't Last...TOUGH PEOPLE DO!

Quote Originally Posted by Safetyman View Post
    What part of Georgia is that trail.
    It's in NW Georgia, just outside of Lafayette in Walker County to be exact.
    Pigeon is also home to Rocktown (bearthedog has a recent thread on it, I have a couple of older ones), several notable caves (Ellison's and Pettyjohn's are the two best known) and a few good hiking trails.

Here is a map of the WMA.
    http://www.georgiawildlife.com/sites...n_WMA_Topo.pdf

And some other threads on the area.
    http://www.jungletraining.com/forums...ad.php?t=24655

http://jungletraining.com/forums/sho...light=Rocktown
    Last edited by Casey; 06-20-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Very nice, thanks for sharing! I like it when our other GA members show off their favorite places...gives me new ideas of where to go explore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    --Jeff
    Knife Modification Services
    Rat Pack Reject #3521
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    Very nice, thanks for sharing! I like it when our other GA members show off their favorite places...gives me new ideas of where to go explore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thanks man. You should definitely check Pigeon out. It's a short drive from Cloudland Canyon SP.