Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Jeff Randall is offline Co-Owner Randall's Adventure & Training / ESEE Knives

AT Approach Trail, AT, Len Foote Hike Inn

Patrick, Wendy and I set out last Thursday and did the AT Approach Trail, a little of the AT and then side tracked back to Len Foote Hike Inn. We made it from the visitor center up the 600+ steps at the top of the falls and then to the top of Springer Mountain at the AT Terminus in a little over 5 hours, taking a short break at the Black Mountain Shelter. Spent the night on Springer at the AT Terminus then headed back down the next morning with some side hikes to the Hike Inn. When we got back to the parking lot at the visitor's center around lunch we had logged a little over 20 miles for the 2 days. Fun hike. Great trail. They rate it strenuous but it's really not that bad. Although we are all still a bit sore We start the Benton MacKaye in July.

ESEE Knives

Randall's Adventure & Training

----Long live Warren Zevon

That's some beautiful country Jeff, 20 miles in two days is strenuous enough but what a place to do it in. Are you going to complete the entire trail... how much of it do you plan on hiking? Thanks for sharing.

Eli

Jeff Randall is offline Co-Owner Randall's Adventure & Training / ESEE Knives
    We simply don't have the time to dedicate to doing the whole AT although we would love to and are physically up to it. Just can't be away from the office and home that much. Instead, we decided to do the Benton MacKaye a week at a time this year.

ESEE Knives

Randall's Adventure & Training

----Long live Warren Zevon

nice pics! i'm lucky enough to be near the a.t. and hike the ny section frequently.
    nra | beckerhead #33 | rat pack #716
    reviews: kifaru | osprey | evernew | goalzero | etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Randall View Post
    We simply don't have the time to dedicate to doing the whole AT although we would love to and are physically up to it.
    Jeff, as long time (4 decades) backpacker/mountaineer, here's my take on through hikers. I've seen them up here on the northern terminus walking like hell to get to Katahdin, stepping over tree roots every step of the way, fording dangerous streams, doing 10- 15 miles per day with ultralite gear --- but for what? They make it (most), but they see nothing!

Two decades ago, I changed my backpacking strategy from mileage to actually seeing stuff. I walk in a few miles (3 to 30 depending on how much time I have), set up basecamp, and day hike. Sometimes I even day hike the same 0.5 - 5 miles repeatedly. But I SEE it, smell it, feel it, hear it. I see what's there, and it changes every time I walk it - new animals, different stream flow, different sky.

It's not about mileage for me. It's about seeing what's there.

You guys need to come up here and do the 'hundred mile wilderness', the most rugged section of the AT. When you go in, if you're going all the way from Monson to Katahdin (or reverse), you better have all you need for 100 mi because there's no exit to food and shelter along the way. And it's truly rugged, especially when the weather goes south. The streams will eat you if the trail doesn't. No bridges.

And that's in summer. Try it in spring or fall, let alone winter.
    Last edited by Nematocyst; 05-12-2013 at 07:37 PM.
    Sent with my yfczsamofoiczfczf
    4.669201609102990 ...

TOA 1

Very cool Jeff...
    That many steps would drive me crazy...lol.
    Wally

Nice pics!! I agree with squirrel. Show me the escalator.

And Nem. You'd be talking about the 100 most remote miles on the AT. The 100 most rugged miles on the AT is the first 100 miles from Springer mtn and north.
    The good thing about being lost is that you are someplace you have never been. ~me

Awesome pics as always.
    If you sass me one more time, I'm gonna have to go super slap a fool on your ass

Great pics. I love the AT, and try to hit the section in VA a couple times each year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunt167 View Post
    Olaf the Crib Midget!!! Fear Him, Worship Him!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    All hail Olaf, the spider crushing crib midget!

#318 in TOA.

Nice pictures.
    Were there many people on the trail between Amicalola and Springer?

Great looking hike. 20 miles is about 18 miles too many for me.

Hiked that a few years back...it's a beautiful place. I started hiking the Benton MacKaye trail last year, started at watsons gap...in the snow. Thanks for the Pics.
    Tough Times Don't Last...TOUGH PEOPLE DO!

Great shots! Beautiful area to hike. Impressive may apple patch there too. Patrick's pack looks old school sitting next to your's and Wendy's, looks a lot like the LL Bean pack a friend just bought. Is that the Fly Creek UL2? I've been trying to decide if I should get the 1 or the two. It's usually just me but sometimes the wife goes too and I'd like to start doing trail camping with the little one. The 1 would work for the daughter and myself, but I'm thinking the two would be better in the end.

I've been wanting to hit the AT again, it's been years. I was thinking about joining this site for the maps

http://www.trails.com/signup.aspx?ge...FQHNOgodxmgArQ

Any experience with them? For the money seems like a good deal.
    RP 575

Quote Originally Posted by mistwalker View Post
    Is that the Fly Creek UL2? I've been trying to decide if I should get the 1 or the two. It's usually just me but sometimes the wife goes too and I'd like to start doing trail camping with the little one. The 1 would work for the daughter and myself, but I'm thinking the two would be better in the end.
    I own the 1. Best tent a solo can own but I wish I spent the extra $50 for the 2. 10 inches wider and only 6 ounces heavier. I love my 1 but tell everyone to buy the 2. Mistwalker. Buy the 2.
    The good thing about being lost is that you are someplace you have never been. ~me

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMistWanderer View Post
    I own the 1. Best tent a solo can own but I wish I spent the extra $50 for the 2. 10 inches wider and only 6 ounces heavier. I love my 1 but tell everyone to buy the 2. Mistwalker. Buy the 2.

Thanks man. Yeah, for the money and what little extra weight there is I was already leaning heavily to the 2.
    RP 575