Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I think that I am going to go with the kit option which provides fine/coarse and extra fine/extra extra fine.

Good choice!

cool, if you wouldn't mind can we get an update on how you like the extra extra fine? I'm curious how much difference there is between that and the EF.

Also I find these sharpeners are fantastic dry, but splash some water on them during use and they are insane!

Guitarwolf, will do but as a heads up I kind of suck at sharpening, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

no worries, the more data points the better! So what knife are you using to learn on?

Just got these as well the coarse/fine and the extra fine/extra extra fine.

Still need to play with it some more. This is my first time ever sharpening a knife
    RIP
    Pring&Ed

3 Mil VG Izula 2 #12 DT Izula Freedom Edition Izula #42 DT Esse 4 Damascus Izlua

Well I mean I've been sharpening for like 8 years. I'm just not very good about it, I have multiple ESEE knives to sharpen, as well as folders, axes, and machetes.

I use the coarse/fine (blue/ red) as my main field sharpener, its good for axes and machetes aswell although a bit on the fine side for fixing big dings. I would ditch the guides and invest in a couple of cheap knives and a bench stone and learn how to freehand sharpen properly. Its an excellent skill to learn.

I use a DMT diafold in the field and DMT 600 and 1200 grit bench stones at home.
    Not everyone respects the Law, everyone respects the Gun

RP 1049

Guitarwolf I have the extra-extra fine and I find that it gives nearly the same fine edge as a strop just not the mirror appearance. I can't tell the difference in cutting performance between using a strop and using the extra-extra fine stone. For me the strop is just "easier" when I'm doing the reprofiling after using a course and fine stones. The nice thing about the diafold is it takes up less space in the pack and it doesn't get any mould/mildew problems after getting wet from a water crossing or heavy rain.

Honestly I'd say it depends on your intention for the sharpener. If it's for field touchups then I'd go with the coarse/fine, but if for a survival kit or the like I'd go with the coarse/extra coarse. The coarse/fine is great for edge maintenance but not coarse enough for edge repair in the field. The edge you get off a coarse DMT stone (once it goes through its break-in period) is honestly fine enough for most woods tasks. The fine gives you a lovely edge though. I kind of wish they made an extra coarse/fine (black/red) combo. It'd be perfect for hard use tools if you ask me.
    Last edited by FortyTwoBlades; 05-11-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Typo!

RP# 6 "To live at all is miracle enough" ~Mervyn Peake

double tap
    Last edited by Nematocyst; 05-11-2013 at 06:18 PM.
    Sent via ynfoycxecmitzakz ...
    4.669201609102990 ..

TOA 1: NemGa

Can someone please post a link to the DMT double sided options (coarse/fine and fine/extra fine)?

I've surfed the DMT site for years and find it confusing. So many products, and I can rarely find the ones I read about.

PS: Is this what y'all are talking about?

http://www.dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/f...sided-diafold/
    4.669201609102990 ..

Yessir! Those are the ones.

RP# 6 "To live at all is miracle enough" ~Mervyn Peake

Cool. Thanks, 42.
    4.669201609102990 ..

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades View Post
    I kind of wish they made an extra coarse/coarse combo. It'd be perfect for hard use tools if you ask me.
    They make that combo, I have one and it's listed on the website. Black/Blue.

I wasn't too interested in the extra extra fine, I have an 8000 grit waterstone plus I strop all my knives anyway. Seems like overkill unless you have some kind of specialized tools.