Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Smoke Grenades

Jeff Randall is offline Co-Owner Randall's Adventure & Training ® / ESEE Knives ®

Smoke Grenades

Where can I buy LE/Military grade smoke grenades (not the cheap firecracker stuff) for our LE training classes and not have to be a certified LE officer or agency to get it? Next question: is is legal for everyday folks to own? Hell, we just need it for some tactics we are teaching in some tracking classes and signaling classes. Any ideas?

ESEE Knives

Randall's Adventure & Training

----Long live Warren Zevon

Looks like there are a few different options for paintball games that might work. Burn time seems reasonable and they are legal (as far as I can tell)
    http://www.enolagaye.com/wire-pull-smoke-grenade
    Rat Pack Reject #3515
    Visit us here at: www.sharpedgereviews.com
    For more pics of my work: Salve7 Knife Mods
    Check out my store HuckleberryWoodchuck

Jeff Randall is offline Co-Owner Randall's Adventure & Training ® / ESEE Knives ®
    Yep, that's the ones I'm calling firecrackers. I'm looking for the aluminum body grenade that military and law enforcement use. But again, does anyone know the legality because the last thing I want to do is have possession of some illegal device and not know it's illegal! I've emailed a few online dealers asking the question.

ESEE Knives

Oh well then in that case I have no idea. Have a festival on the farm on the same day and the hippies will give of all the smoke you need plus you can bust em as part of the training.
    Rat Pack Reject #3515

I'm pretty sure that the handheld "grenade" versions are now considered DD's by the BATF... but if you have a 37mm launcher, you can still legally get these because they're considered signaling devices.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....chers37mm-ammo
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan
    IZULA II #8543 ESEE 3MIL #8140 ESEE LS #0757

^ Ammotogo used to have a bunch of mil spec smoke grenades. I was very tempted to buy some a couple years ago, but didn't. I haven't seen them on there in a while.
    “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”

You might also want to check out ALS Smoke grenades. Not sure if they are in stock anywhere or if its what you are looking for but I know they are used in LEO training. They are legal for adults to own.
    Rat Pack Reject #3515

I had about 3 or 4 that I carried around in my truck box for years. They were the the grenade splitring/pull pin style real signaling smoke grenades. I got them from a friend who's dad was an Etowah County sheriff who was killed serving a warrant back in the 90s. I don't know if they were legal or not, but man they produced some thick white signaling smoke for about 10 seconds. I can talk to him this weekend and see what I can find for you Jeff.
    "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage" - Lao Tzu

---Master Knife Sharpener---

I think this is what you are looking for...

"The ALS09NR is a NON-RELOADABLE Single Use Diversionary Device, ergonomically designed and cost effective steel body device utilizing the extremely reliable M201 A1 igniter system. The M201 A1 is a 1 to1.5 second delay igniter."
    http://www.tacticalgearcommand-gov.com/GSA/ALS09NR.html

additional stuff:
    http://www.tacticalgearcommand-gov.c...HNOLOGIES.html
    -DontTreadOnME201 (RAT PACK#1053, EMT, outdoorsman, NTA & NRA Member, and trapper)

"Relish the challenge of overcoming difficulties that would crush ordinary men...learn to suffer." - Mark Twight

Again, if these things are against ATF regs then I don't want any part of them around here. I can get all I want from LE friends but I was mainly looking for a source that we can buy them from since I don't like to get them from friends in law enforcement and not know if they are legal or not, so the real question is are they legal to own?

ESEE Knives

If you call them at (800) 838-5308 they may be able to answer your question concerning the legality of the item I provided in the link above.
    -DontTreadOnME201 (RAT PACK#1053, EMT, outdoorsman, NTA & NRA Member, and trapper)

"Relish the challenge of overcoming difficulties that would crush ordinary men...learn to suffer." - Mark Twight

Again, I think the because of the fuse portion of the standard military/LE smoke grenade (mk 18) it has been classified as a destructive device by the BATF, I don't think they are legal for civilian use or ownership unless you have the proper permit.

If the color of the smoke doesn't matter, the USCG requires boaters to have signaling devices on board their vessel, so you can buy these at pretty much any boating supply store.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...&keyword=smoke
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan
    IZULA II #8543 ESEE 3MIL #8140 ESEE LS #0757

Or this, i may have posted the wrong link in the first comment.

http://www.tacticalgearcommand-gov.com/GSA/ALS2978.html

ALS makes the smoke cans. There are several different models available on that site.

Pretty cool.

They are now considered DDs with the ATF.