Question about/ Opinions on, Handi-Rifles

Afternoon Freinds, A man just offered me a super deal on an H&R Handi-Rifle in 45-70 gov. Clean bore, no dings in the barrel crown, has a dashund sized Simmons scope and RealTree plastic furniture. Had an H&R shotgun back in my youth but no real knowledge on these rifles. Do I have any owners/users in here? What are your thoughts on this beast? Thanks in advance for your help fellow Esee-aholics.
    (Insert "Angry Flag Waving Smiley here.") Proud RP # 1055

brandon Guest
    I've shot two different rifles that breeched open when fired. One of them was mine and I've tried contacting them through emails written letters etc. ..with no response. My daddy owns a Buffalo classic that shoots really well though.

Ive had a few over the years, I really like them, what a joy to point and carry. They are not what I would call a long range precision rifle but they do make a fine brush gun. They are best descibed as a basic tool.

I have no experience with them in big bore calibres. I will say tho about 3 years ago I shot a Stag at 30 metres with a marlin 45/70 lever gun and I can honestly say that round is like a sledge hammer. It absolutly smashed this deer over.

Alot of guys over here buy them, supress them, dovetail the stock and turn them into pack rifles.
    Not everyone respects the Law, everyone respects the Gun

RP 1049

I have a Talo edition .44 mag carbine, .22 sportster and a couple shotguns. All of them function perfectly and they shoot well. The shotguns are some of my favorite hunting guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RP# 1082

This forum is known for its tendency towards sheep lovin'. -cbwoods

I have a 243 with some kind of cheap scope on it, and the dern thing is a pretty good shooter....(I am too lazy to go open the safe and find out what kind of scope it is, but it was a throwndown I had laying around)...I bought it for a nasty weather, let a friend borrow it, just because it was on the shelf and I had the money and 2 of my sons have 243 rifles so I had ammo laying around gun, but it is plenty good enough for killin' critters at any reasonable distance...

I had a .223 for a while. Still would have it but the range closed near by and couldn't shoot it anymore.

I use the shotguns alot for hunting. They are my favorite shotgun. I had a .223 years ago that was a tack driver but it was stolen when my house was burglarized.

mlrs
    Rat Pack #958

There are no noble wars, just noble warriors.

I absolutely love the Handi-Rifle. I have a couple shotguns as well. I have a .223 and sent it in and had it fitted for a 45-70 barrel. Swapping barrels is quick.

The 45-70 has a little bite. . I took the pad off and filled it with 8 shot and that little extra weight helped tame the recoil.

The Handi-Rifle IMO is one if the best values out there. They're extremely utilitarian but shoot very well. I will keep adding to the ones I have!

Dave

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I love handi-rifles. Never had a problem with the shotguns and all the rifles I've shot are tack drivers. Here's one I'd love to have

You can't go wrong with a 45-70. The energy that round puts on target is tremendous. I shoot 325 grain Hornady Leverevolutions and they pack a punch. I shot a hog @ 60yds with it last fall. The exit wound took about half out about half of the skull.
    Rat Pack Reject #3524

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Randall
    Dumbasses and anyone less than honorable need not apply.

Thanks for all your input fellas. I've decided to give it a go. I used a 300gr Hornady XTP 44mag round on hogs and it was almost always a "1 shot stop". Thats what I want this for and the $300 price with base, rings and the huge Simmons scope is too good to pass up! The current owner says it shoots true and reliable but the recoil is just too brutal for him, which is why he's getting rid of it. I've used both a 300 Weatherby and a 7mag so I think I'll like it. I'll try to revive this thread and give a decent report as soon as I get some range time.
    (Insert "Angry Flag Waving Smiley here.") Proud RP # 1055

I forget the exact history, but there was a batch of them that had faulty ejectors. Unfortunately I got one of those, its truly a single shot, I have to pry the case loose with some kind of tool. One day it will become a 300 and get a new ejector. It can be fixed, there is a forum for the handi-rifles that talks all about it, I've just never bothered. I've shot a couple handi-rifle shotguns that would eject the spent shell very aggressively! Anyway, fun little guns, just something to be aware of.

The shotguns eject hard enough to headstamp your forehead if you're not careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RP# 1082

This forum is known for its tendency towards sheep lovin'. -cbwoods