Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Geocaching Qs--GPS

Want to get into this with the kids, any recommendations for a good GPS for geocaching and basic outdoor use? Don't have one yet and could be convinced to spend some $$ for a decent duel use unit. Alternatively, anyone give the $10 iPhone app a try, I might use that until I settle on a GPS. Thanks.

Just started checking this out myself. I downloaded a couple of the phone apps (windows phone) and I pad apps. I did not have my GPS with me while I was visiting NC. I think the apps will work but they seem to be much more aggravating than my GPS. Not sure if I'll be able to get much Geocaching done with all Jeff and I have going on but all of this navigation stuff definitely has me interested in playing. I found tons of info on line. Im going to research it some more.

Jeff Randall is offline Co-Owner Randall's Adventure & Training / ESEE Knives
    The Garmin eTrex units are good to go for about anything you need. Haven't played with the phone apps so I'm not sure if they require phone service. That wouldn't work in places like Bucks Pocket if they do.

ESEE Knives

Randall's Adventure & Training

----Long live Warren Zevon

I used the MotionX iPhone app to get the coordinates for the S. NH treasure I hid today. The app seems to work well enough, but I guess I wont really know how accurate it is until someone finds the tube.

I was disappointed that I couldn't find any way to determine what the map datum is for the maps used in the app. Would be nice to have that info.

I had one bar of phone signal, and even though it took a few seconds for the app to pick up satellite signal, it didn't seem to matter how strong the phone signal was.
    RP# 763
    PR# 13
    TOA #9
    rodferro.com

Plus one for a Garmin. I use an eTrex Venture HC when hiking and caching, Still on the simple end I guess, but gives you a color screen. I use the C:geo app for my Droid phone when I am around town hunting.
    Thanks
    SpranK

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Randall View Post
    The Garmin eTrex units are good to go for about anything you need. Haven't played with the phone apps so I'm not sure if they require phone service. That wouldn't work in places like Bucks Pocket if they do.
    Thanks for the tip on the eTrex handhelds! In fact looking on Amazon right now. I downloaded an iPhone app called Coordinates, you can use UTM and it has a few different style maps to use. I don't know how accurate it is compared to a handheld device but if someone does'nt beat me to it, once I get a handheld I'll do a comparison test and start a new thread about the results.
    Photobucket RP#917

http://www.geocaching.com/ is a great place to start

Garmin eTrex venture hc here. No complaints way easier than my old magellan.
    If you love America, you'll buy a Blade Tech Training Barrel

Haven't played with the phone apps so I'm not sure if they require phone service. That wouldn't work in places like Bucks Pocket if they do.
    They have standalone GPS receivers in them, so no cell tower signal is required to navigate. It is required if maps are not stored in the phone, so you need to save that stuff ahead of time. They work fairly well, but they are no replacement for a true GPS. The battery life on a phone sucks, too, so keep that in mind if using them for Geocaching.

The Garmin eTrex units are good to go for about anything you need.
    Anything in the eTrex line or specific models?

The Venture HC is on steep discount at Amazon. Are there open source maps for this or do you have to spend another bundle for the Garmin topos?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsKnob View Post
    The Venture HC is on steep discount at Amazon. Are there open source maps for this or do you have to spend another bundle for the Garmin topos?
    Mine came with a CD full of us topo maps. It automatically found updates when I loaded the program. Personally, i wouldn't ever pay for maps for my gps. I'd buy the real, full-size, paper maps and use them since I could plot with a tool and compass and not worry about batteries and other electronic quirks.

If all you want to do is geocaching, a basic GPS is all you need, you don't need a map. If you get into orienteering or any serious navigation, you'll want a map and compass and those skills.
    If you love America, you'll buy a Blade Tech Training Barrel

Howdy folks. Check out the Garmin Etrex20 (the orange one)

I find it to be the perfect balance in between relative inexpensiveness (compared to other models) and features (it can and will do paperless geocaching pretty well)

I've been trying to answer this very same question myself. Does anybody have any experience with the Etrex vs the Dakota series? Just wondering if the Dakota is worth it for the touchscreen or if the non-touchscreens work better.

I don't have experience with a touch screen GPS but I'd imagine they are better if you think you're going to be manually entering a lot of information into the unit (waypoints, notes, paperless geocaching). Otherwise as far as general GPS stuff the click sticks and buttons work just fine.

As for questions regarding the smart phone apps from Geocaching.com... I have the android version and it's worth the money for urban caches. Almost useless if no data connection available.

sent from my Droid RAZR using Tapatalk.
    Http://wildertrek.com : a techie's journey off the beaten path.

Hmm, Etrex 20 is not much more than the Venture HC and seems to have more features.