Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wetterlings vs gransfors bruks ?

Educate me ! I need a good medium sized axe to strap on my pack. open to other brands as well such as fiskars. I have a gerber camp axe 2 that I'm not too much a fan of so far (chipping already)

Both are good but I see a lot more people using Gransfors Bruks. I plan on getting their Wildlife hatchet soon.
    “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”

I've got a couple wetterlings that I love. I couldn't justify paying for the gb since I'm not a logger by trade lol.
    Rat Pack Reject #3515
    Visit us here at: www.sharpedgereviews.com
    For more pics of my work: Salve7 Knife Mods
    Check out my store HuckleberryWoodchuck

You can also find nice forged heads at flea markets.
    Rat Pack Reject #3515

I've yet to see a wetterlings in person that is worth more than 20$ so I went with a small forest axe and it's well worth the cash to me
    Integrity begets integrity
    Respect begets respect

RP#673

I hear they are both great but I'm not sure if one has any advantage over the other. Besides price which I dont care that much. I like to buy top of the line once and have that be that

Quote Originally Posted by calebklyne View Post
    I've yet to see a wetterlings in person that is worth more than 20$ so I went with a small forest axe and it's well worth the cash to me
    What was wrong with the Wetterlings? I haven't handled either yet but I trust you guys enough to fly by faith

I've handled quite a few wetterlings and haven't seen anything that made me regret paying $80 for one. I haven't chopped with the GBs so I can't offer any input there. There are a few american made axes that are getting up there in quality without the crazy price.
    Rat Pack Reject #3515

I'm in the same position as Salve. I've got a Wetterlings pocket ax. It's an amazing little thing that works WAY above its size. I've inspected Gransfors and Wetterlings side by side and the difference? Well there are two key differences. 1) Branding 2) Price. If you're buying online it may benefit you mildly to buy a GFB over a Wetty. Reason being I hear tell GFB's QC is constant while the occassional wetty gets out with an off grind. Having seen the two side by side with my own eyes and having owned a wetty... I won't waste the money on a GFB when I can have a wetty of same quality and capability and some extra bucks in my pocket.

God bless,
    Adam
    RAT PACK #840

I think that's the only thing that has kept me from getting a Wetterlings is the qc issues I read about. I think I just found what I'm getting if anything. The GFB Scandinavian axe. It's 25" which is right about the size range I wanted. I have a camp ax which is a 1 handed hatchet basically. And if it's lighter chopping that doesn't require the ax I have a Junglas

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel89 View Post
    I hear they are both great but I'm not sure if one has any advantage over the other. Besides price which I dont care that much. I like to buy top of the line once and have that be that
    top of the line - in that case gransfors bruks...every axe brand is compared to it and i have yet to hear anything negative.

here's a nice tour of the factory by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E89nlVmPeeU
    nra | beckerhead #33 | rat pack #716
    reviews: kifaru | osprey | evernew | goalzero | etc.

Both companies produce fantastic tools. I've seen Wetterlings as well as GB with less than perfect grinds or with raw handles. Not an issue to me though, as most serious users adjust the grind to their needs anyways and the handle finish is a rather esoteric question -some prefer mirror polished, waxed handles, others like roughly finished oiled handles.
    I'd go with the brand, that produces a product that fits your needs (size, weight, head as well as price wise). You can't really go wrong with either. I would however choose the axe personally and hold a few, as none is like the other and minor differences can make one feel better than the next.

Fiskars makes nice tools too, but comparing a GB to a Fiskars is like comparing a Kainuun puukko to a Mora. The fiskars will get the job done, is extremely tough and cheap as dirt, but it will never have the feel of a handmade product. With that said: My Fiskars gets more use than the GB.

Here's a simmilar tour through the making of a wetterlings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdwZn...layer_embedded

BTW: As far as I know Gerber axes are just rebranded Fiskars (Gerber is owned by Fiskars)
    Last edited by Crunch; 08-02-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Nobody seems to ever mention husqvarna axes. I've never tried them and their prices aren't that low but they look good. http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landscap...i-purpose-axe/
    Rat Pack Reject #3515

I've been wanting a Gransfor axe for a while..

Quote Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
    I've been wanting a Gransfor axe for a while..
    As have I. I've been looking at them for about 5 years but every time I'm about to click the "submit order" button I realize that there really is no place for me to really put one to use here in the wide open farm country. I just happen to really want one for not particular reason.
    RP #991

"I hate quotations..." Ralph Waldo Emerson