Condor Kukri, Condor Golok Machete and Condor Pack Golok - Preliminary view

Last week I ordered the Condor Kukri and the Condor Pack Golok from Bushcraft Canada. Upon arrival, I see Paul accidently sent me the Condor Golok Machete instead of the Pack Golok. After informing him of the mistake, he said I could send it back for exchange, or keep it and get 50% off the pack golok and he'd ship it free. Nice ! ...I was too polite to argue

Condor Kukri - It's not the 2011/2012 version as it's 1/8" thick, not the 3/16th thick I read they are currently. It's too light, bounces off hard shit too easily and not terribly comfortable to use on anything except light shit. Probably sell it, or give it away.

Condor Golok Machete - It has to be 1/4 thick, but it feels surprisingly really light. Probably due to how thin the blade is ground. Well balanced, handle is quite comfy, feels decently secure in the hand. Good control when swinging. I didn't feel any fatigue setting in when I used it a bit. Coating is not very durable (very similar to Becker's and Cold Steel's coatings), but I don't care about that. Does not hold an edge terribly well, edge rolls quite easily. All in all, seems like it'd make a good tool for the woods, jungle, ect.

Condor Pack Golok - This is the beast I really wanted since seeing it on youtube (2012 blade show clip), over all FnF is pretty good. Sharpness, unlike the others was OK. Altho, none of the Condors were all that sharp, not sharp enough for me. I want paper slicing sharpness, these are more axe-like-dullness. One thing Condor has to work on is their sharpening, really slopping grinds, but not all that annoying to me, given the cost of their stuff. Still, it needs a bit of improvement, imo. For example, my Kukri came with a finger wide dent in the edge that really annoyed me, as it was up to me to repair it. Not a big deal with smaller blades, but big ass machetes are a PITA for me to sharpen. The Pack Golok came with a really thin edge, that was sharp due to how thin they ground it. But there were also a few jagged dings and chips from sloppy grinding. Not a big deal, at least 12" (correction: 10 7/8th " from handle to tip) blade is a lot easier for me to try and sharpen by hand, or using my strop to smooth everything out (worked well, actually).

Pack Golok has the best balance of the three Condors, and sinks into wood with the most authority. It's not a real wood demon tho, it about medium chopping strength, I'd say. Strikes me as an all around camp processing tool, rather then a pure chopping machine. I am sure the Condor Warlock would be much better suited as a chopper. The balance of the Pack Golok is essentially neutral with a slight forward lean, which is why I consider it less of a pure chopper and more of an all around camp bitch. EDIT: I must have been stoned, the weight is primarily FORWARD balanced, just as you'd expect it to be looking at the blade

Pack Golok handle is very nice, very fat, but I found with really hard swings, if you're not gripping the handle very tight, the handle likes to twist on you. It's a bit too slippery. Only a real problem with hacking through very hard material. I'm sure a light sanding with 240 grit, would assist in providing a better grip. As it stand it's nice, but just a little too slippery, for my tastes.

Edit: forgot to mention blade thickness is 7/32 " and OAL is just under 17 "

This wood is VERY very hard due to being weathered for several years. It's as hard as any hardwood I've seen.

I was surprised when I saw the clean cut. My cutting technique is Joe Rogan approved™

Does feather sticks OK for being only half sharp
    Last edited by Corpus; 07-03-2012 at 08:42 PM.

.................... I I want your opinion, I'll read it in your entrails

very glad to see this little review. Ive been looking at the golok, and pack golok for a few weeks now. Definently want a pack golok

Nice review... always wanted to grab a few of those. Very reasonably priced too. Thanks for sharing your info!
    -DontTreadOnME201 (RAT PACK#1053, EMT, outdoorsman, NTA & NRA Member, and trapper)

"Relish the challenge of overcoming difficulties that would crush ordinary men...learn to suffer." - Mark Twight

Great blades and a fantastic review! I have the Condor Golok too. Just like you, the edge rolled easily. Then I convexed it and it was like a new blade. It chopped much better and held an edge really well too. Just something to try if you like.

All three condors I'm interest together in a review? Wonderful. Thanks for the review. The NEW kukris are thicker blades?

Obviously you should buy from 42blades for added Qc and a damned fine edge out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Solanine View Post
    All three condors I'm interest together in a review? Wonderful. Thanks for the review. The NEW kukris are thicker blades?

Obviously you should buy from 42blades for added Qc and a damned fine edge out of the box.
    http://www.condortk.com/productsdetail.php?prodid=75 Here and I remember watching a youtube video where the guy said they were currently 3/16 " thick.

If I buy any more, I'll definitely consider 42Blades.

Nice review. I've been thinking about picking up the pack golok as well since seeing the YouTube clip with Joezilla.
    RP #991

"I hate quotations..." Ralph Waldo Emerson

nice write-up and pics!
    nra | beckerhead #33 | rat pack #716
    reviews: kifaru | osprey | evernew | goalzero | etc.

Thanks for this review... I've been lusting after the Pack Golok and I'm glad to hear about the handle but looking at the picture of it in your hand... it's "big"... and is definitely going to need some re-profiling.

Once you get that profile down I've picked up something from C_Tanner (BF Becker Forums) he gets Wilson Tennis Racquet Wrap from Walmart (2.00?) and it really helps keep a good grip on larger or any knives and it cuts down on "felt" vibration. I bought a BHK 12" Machete from him and it came with it... my first thought was to take it off but I really like it... might help with grip, vibration etc.?

Eli

I like the kukhri mainly.All of them look like a beast

Looks like you got one of the most recent versions of the standard Golok! Much better distal taper than previous production. If you're experiencing edge rolling it's likely that the steel at the very edge was overheated slightly during grinding and a few sharpenings should get you past that and into the good stuff--just like is typical with Moras. The Kukri shouldn't be bouncing off heavy stuff at all. Either something is wrong with your technique or the edge isn't tuned like it should be (the most likely instance.) The twisting you're experiencing with the Pack Golok is likely a the result of the fat handle causing poor indexing, which means your edge orientation is slightly out of alignment with your swing, resulting in a glancing blow that then twists in the hand because of how close to square the handle is. My guess is that this may have been corrected during Joe's recent QC trip to El Salvador. I know some folks like fat, but that's just obese!

Great write-up.

RP# 6 "To live at all is miracle enough" ~Mervyn Peake

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades View Post
    Looks like you got one of the most recent versions of the standard Golok! Much better distal taper than previous production. If you're experiencing edge rolling it's likely that the steel at the very edge was overheated slightly during grinding and a few sharpenings should get you past that and into the good stuff--just like is typical with Moras.
    Hopefully that's the case here. But I have no reason to believe otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades
    The Kukri shouldn't be bouncing off heavy stuff at all. Either something is wrong with your technique or the edge isn't tuned like it should be (the most likely instance.)
    I whacked it into the side of a dead tree and it was like using a lawn mower blade as far as penetration. But yeah, partly due to my cut (horizontal, instead of a 45 degree) and partly due to the edge not being the greatest. I'm not one of those analytical people who analyzes every detail. I use something, and I either like it or don't. For me, it's really that simple. I like Kukris, but I've never had one that was comfortable to chop with. Including a very expensive (for a kukri) Himalayan Imports Chiruwa Ang Khola, that I sold to my nephew.

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades
    The twisting you're experiencing with the Pack Golok is likely a the result of the fat handle causing poor indexing, which means your edge orientation is slightly out of alignment with your swing, resulting in a glancing blow that then twists in the hand because of how close to square the handle is. My guess is that this may have been corrected during Joe's recent QC trip to El Salvador. I know some folks like fat, but that's just obese!
    Entirely possible.

The Condor Golok is my all time favourite machete, I had one at work that have many miles of bush on it and it was great, the handle doesn't need to be gripped as tight as some without worrying that you will lose your grip. I have slashed though bush until my hand it in serious pain from cramping and the Golok never did that to me, even after 8 or more hours of slashing traverses through the bush.
    Rat Pack Reject #3501
    www.CruiseCreek.com

brandon Guest
    I need me a golok.