Stealth Camping?

I've been trying to find some state parks, etc., close by for some quick overnight trips, and am shocked at how many of them don't allow camping or mandate camping only in tract-style hook ups. A lot of these parks have very large tracts that could easily support some back country areas. I wonder how much stealth camping is going on. I think it's unlikely that these parks have backcountry rangers. I'm very law abiding, but I'm beginning to get ideas . . .

Just:

Dont cut down live growth.

Respect fire and limit your fire based on weather conditions, drought, and the area your in, make sure any fire you light is a safe fire that is well contained, and that you have quick means to extinguish it, and that you leave no scar on the earth.

Dont make a mess or leave trash.

Dont dig up the earth without filling it back in. Leave no scars, leave no trace.

Only kill what you will eat.

Know the laws in the area if you can or can not have and use fire arms. And if you can never discharge a weapon in an area that people may be in, never shoot unless you have with 100 percent certainty identified your target and what is behind it, and can make a clean shot. etc. all fire arms safety rules apply. Only if you have tags, and hunting is permitted in the area of course.

Leave the area in better shape then it was when you found it.

If you do these things you shouldn't have problems.
    Last edited by DontTreadOnMe201; 05-01-2012 at 01:49 AM.
    -DontTreadOnME201 (RAT PACK#1053, EMT, outdoorsman, NTA & NRA Member, and trapper)

"Relish the challenge of overcoming difficulties that would crush ordinary men...learn to suffer." - Mark Twight

Eastern NC. (Currently) / NorthWest FL. (Hometown)
    I cannot remember the last time I tried camping in some designated spot. All I'm going to admit to...
    Asphalt thinking doesn't apply to a world of weeds and water.

just leave the area better/cleaner than you found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootlegger0173 View Post
    I cannot remember the last time I tried camping in some designated spot. All I'm going to admit to...
    ditto.
    nra | beckerhead #33 | rat pack #716
    reviews: kifaru | osprey | evernew | goalzero | etc.

I think the reason is people have a way of destorying shit.

I mean go to public campgrounds and look around, thats why they outlaw camping there.

I gots tons of places to camp.....without a soul around, kinda freaky at times
    Get strops here ====>FLEXXXSTROPS
    MAD STROP SCIENTIST
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Randall View Post
    We modeled the ESEE-CM6 after Flexxx - the hottest, sexiest thing on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyfl View Post
    Oh is it a FLEXXX action figure!?! With sunglasses, removable sequin shirt, and a strop?

I hate to admit to being a scofflaw given my background but there are tons of places I have camped that I wasnt supposed to. I try not to be conspicous , dont light huge fires , dont leave trash etc. . And part of the reason i do it is to sharpen my E&E skils and the other reason is simply because bureaucratic A hole that has never stepped off the pavement says I cant.
    RAT PACK REJECT #3505
    When men are afraid of heights and dangers in the streets; when the almond tree blooms and the grasshopper drags himself along and desire is no longer stirred. Then man goes to his eternal home and mourners go about the streets. Ecclesiates 12:5

Setup camp at dusk, be gone by dawn. Don't leave a tent up during the day, pack up. That's essentially the difference between bivouac (spending just the night) and camping (spending several days at one spot).
    MAT | R.A.T. PACK #1088 | PACK RAT #088 | ESEE-6 3582 | ESEE-3 7261 | IZULA-II 5473

From the Urban Explorers website: Take only pictures; Leave only footprints.
    "Hope is when we feel that pain that makes us try again." - C. Science

"Yes I'm a New World Samurai and a Redneck nonetheless!!" - Neil Fallon, Clutch: A Shogun Named Marcus

Rat Pack # 1085

Leave no trace and be mindful and respectful of the fire precautions you may have to make, which may be a complete ban on fires in some parts of the season. Take out what you brought in, and you should be able pull it off. I know a lot of cyclist who practice stealth camping on their trips and they have pulled over when it got dark and set up camp and when the sun comes up in the morning they have realized they are completely visible all around LOL, so pick a secluded spot in the daylight when you know where you are
    Rat Pack Reject #3501
    www.CruiseCreek.com

I agree with post #2
    TXHC and I do it all the time ......
    RP#3 BK#25

Yip but the leave no trace is all very romantic and well, but the activity remains illegal, and if you bump into a ranger any of these arguments will be void. "Hey I cleaned up the place it's prettier now than it was before" won't cut it. So realize it's illegal and consider your chances. The price you pay for the freedom of the hills I suppose?
    MAT | R.A.T. PACK #1088 | PACK RAT #088 | ESEE-6 3582 | ESEE-3 7261 | IZULA-II 5473

Timy and I did some extreme stealth camping back in March. We were right along the river and about 20 yards from the road. The river was down a steep embankment and we hung our hammocks under some dense trees so we were well hidden. It wasn't until we drove back up there about a week later that we noticed the signs all along that stretch of highway that said "No camping within 400 yards of the road or river." If we had been caught I think we would have been in huge trouble haha.
    "Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back."
    "Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I grew up in a very wooded mountain area in the Pocono's here in PA. There were many areas where we went backpacking and overnight camping that are now posted as no-camping zones. The main reason for this is the fact that the area has become a "tourist" destination and the local emergency management really doesn't want to be spending it's resourses to hunt for lost tourist's. I am too old to be backpacking overnight but I know of many of the locals that still go to our old spots for overnighting. As others have said; when they leave, you wouldn't know they had been there.
    You are what you do when it counts. RP# 900