Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up Scrapyard 311, 511, rodent solution, and mud puppy comp. pics

Hi all I got the 311 today. It is surprisingly comfortable in hand. I am not a huge fan of the handle esp. on the 511. But on this it balances great. I am really happy with this little one.

[color:"red"] Disclaimer Dan, I still want Mudder handles!!! Please [/color] :CROSSFINGERS:

But I really like this little blade. And a side not, usually anything under 4 inches I would just take a folder. But this is really a nice feel.

One of the only exceptions to this is the Esee 3 mil cp. I love this knife for daily carry. It is just a mean knife for its size.

Here is the Scrapyard 311 with the Esee 3 orange handle, 3 Mil cp, and the Esee Hest fixed blade.

I like the res c handle better on the Scrapyard 311 but I love the choil on the Esee 3 series. I miss a usable choil.

Here it is with the ever popular 511. The same handle but a totally different balance.

The specs for these two are

(SY) 311 (SR101) = ? oz; .1875" thick; 3.5" blade; 8" oal
    (SY) 511 (SR101) = 6.75 oz; .1875" thick; 5.5" blade; 10" oal

Here it is with the Scrapyard 511, the 311, the Swamprat Rodent Solution, and the Scrapyard Mud Puppy with [color:"red"]mudder, hint hint Dan [/color]handles

The Rodent solution specs are as follows

Rodent Solution (SR101) = 6.4 oz; .1875" thick; 3.5" blade; 8.125" oal

A side view of the blade profile and handles

Here is the 311 and the Mudpuppy, with [color:"red"] mudder handles! [/color]

The Mud puppy specs are as follows

(SY) Dumpster Mutt CG (SR77) (Saber - small handle) = 9 oz; .27" thick; 5.25" blade; 9.75" oal
    (SY) Dumpster Mutt LE (SR77) (full flat - small handle) = 7.7 oz; .25" thick; 5" blade; 9.5" oal

Here it is putting a point on a piece of green wood. No problems

Here is the 311 making a poor fuzz stick,(my fault) with some very hard fat wood.

The tip is not chipped, but that is some of the coating on the very tip.

P.s. Mike you did a fantastic job sharpening the 311. It was hair poppin sharp.

thanks
    :THUMBUP:

Here it is with the Swamprat Rodent Solution, Scrapyard 711, Scrapyard 511, and the 311

Last edited by sar5; 03-04-2012 at 12:08 AM.

Congrats bro

The thing about Scrapyard is the Stick tangs, good solid knives but a Stick tang kills it for me....& the Res.C handles scar up to easy ...
    RP#3 BK#25

Thanks Tony,

I never had a problem with the res c tearing up, even hitting it while battoning by accident.

But micarta is definitely stronger.

But the res c is so comfy,

hows the grind on yours? It seems that every scrap yard I get has inconsistent grinds. The flat part of the blade is always one angle, then the belly is way thicker. Makes it stupid hard to sharpen on my sharp maker.

I think if I end up getting a 311, Ill request that they send me one that wasnt sharpened by Denny. Not sure why, but all the ones Ive gotten so far were from him, same problem on each one.
    RP# 538
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Randall View Post
    Double up on the condoms if you're gonna be screwin any hippies.

Great comparison pics. The 311 is tempting, but I ordered a rodent 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckles View Post
    hows the grind on yours? It seems that every scrap yard I get has inconsistent grinds. The flat part of the blade is always one angle, then the belly is way thicker. Makes it stupid hard to sharpen on my sharp maker.

I think if I end up getting a 311, Ill request that they send me one that wasnt sharpened by Denny. Not sure why, but all the ones Ive gotten so far were from him, same problem on each one.
    On this one it's perfect. Even through out. Mine was done by mike so maybe request one of his.

Quote Originally Posted by sar5 View Post
    Thanks Tony,

I never had a problem with the res c tearing up, even hitting it while battoning by accident.

But micarta is definitely stronger.

But the res c is so comfy,

I never tore mine but I have nicked it or accidentally knocked out a small plug/chunk....
    Tough knives for sure
    RP#3 BK#25

added some new photos and replaces a couple of bad ones

Nice collection.

You try the Rodent 4 ? Been eyeing that.

.................... I I want your opinion, I'll read it in your entrails

Quote Originally Posted by Corpus View Post
    Nice collection.

You try the Rodent 4 ? Been eyeing that.

Not yet I don't think it has been released yet. They are open for orders
    now but haven't shipped yet.

What material are those "mud" handles made from. I'm curious about their wear properties.

The mudder handles are a res c that's harder than the newer handles it wears tougher and is not as cushioned, but is a nice comfortable grip. The grooves make it almost impossible to slip with blood and such.

Sar, would you happen to know what model this SRKW is ? I bought it so long ago, I've forgotten.

Generation 2 howler.
    Take care
    Sar

Thanks.