Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Drying up Poison Ivy?

I can deal with the itch I just hate the redness and oozing. I get this shit every year. How can I dry it up fast?
    “Do or do not... there is no try.” -Yoda
    RPR#3512

tecnu soap and caladryl lotion are supposed to work well, but I'm apparently allergic to caladryl.
    I've also heard of people wiping down with bleach.
    Erik
    there are 2 reasons I've lived this long...

a) I heal really quick.
    b) I learn even faster where pain and/or blood is involved...

AKA 1066vik RP #434 BH #57

I heard about Burt's Bees Poison Ivy Soap. Has Kaolin, Jewelweed, Pine Tar and Tea Tree Oil.

A friend of mine is not affected by poison ivy anymore. When he was a teen he had it all over him, so an old timer took him and stuck him neck-deep in a cold creek for about 30 minutes until his skin just about turned blue. He healed up in a few days. Now in his early 50's, he can still reach out and grab poison ivy and tear it all apart with his bare hands and it doesn't affect him.
    R.P.#961 Luke 10:16

Erik I've tryed the bleach thing. Burns like Hell and its still weeping.

BigE looks like I need to find a cold creek...
    RPR#3512

Tecnu

Crushed up jewel weed frozen into ice cubes.
    If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

I have always been immune to poison ivy, when we were working around it in the woods I was always the one who had to walk into it to do what ever was needed so my crew would not get it. Only thing is I would have to change to keep it from getting past on by my clothing, I had one guy on my crew and he would go into severe reactions from it with little to no contact, needless to say though I don't know any remedies because it has never been an issue for me.
    Rat Pack Reject #3501
    www.CruiseCreek.com

Go to your local clinic and get a $20 cortisone shot. You should see results within a day. It dries up all of your skin. I get poison oak really bad, and if it's a large patch on my skin, or anywhere near my face I just go in and get one. It's totally worth it.
    Rat Pack #1097
    Pack Rat #42
    Get a knife Made in the USA! - www.usamadeblade.com

Quote Originally Posted by chorpie View Post
    Go to your local clinic and get a $20 cortisone shot. You should see results within a day. It dries up all of your skin. I get poison oak really bad, and if it's a large patch on my skin, or anywhere near my face I just go in and get one. It's totally worth it.
    Sounds like the plan to follow.

I always do well with a vigorous scrubbing with tecnu. After rinsing and drying I follow it with over the counter steroid cream. I repeat it as often as necessary.

MikieG Guest
    man, im itchin just thinkin about it!

Quote Originally Posted by MikieG View Post
    man, im itchin just thinkin about it!
    My dad can eat a poison ivy salad and be fine. I can't even be down wind from the stuff
    RPR#3512

Think I might try this stuff if I get it again. Have to tell my brother about it. All he has to do is look at poison ivy and he breaks out.

http://www.zanfel.com/help/

http://www.zanfel.com/help/rashfaq.html

As someone with a medical background, and with multiple bad experiences with poison ivy, I wholeheartedly recommend the cortisone injection (They will give you something called Depo-Medrol). It's a lifesaver for me, otherwise I get weeping sores that last for 2 weeks. Topical cortisone can help quite a bit also.
    Annoy a Liberal - Work Hard and Be Happy

Quote Originally Posted by BeechForkCreek View Post
    As someone with a medical background, and with multiple bad experiences with poison ivy, I wholeheartedly recommend the cortisone injection (They will give you something called Depo-Medrol). It's a lifesaver for me, otherwise I get weeping sores that last for 2 weeks. Topical cortisone can help quite a bit also.
    Sounds great, especially since you are the 2nd to recommend it. Everything has its side effects though. I seem to always be the one with something like anaphylactic shock from some kind of great shot people recommend. I'll see what my MD says.